Thursday, August 28, 2014

Nerdicus NES Review #127: Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers 2


Title : Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers 2

Publisher : Capcom

Developer : Capcom

Genre : Action Platformer

Players : 1 / 2 Players

Release Date : 1994

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $130-$150

Are you ready for some more Chip 'N' Dale? I'm talking about the chipmunks, not the strippers. Get your mind out of the gutter, people. So...are those chip n dale dancers even around anymore? Not that I'm looking to hire them or something, I'm just trying to figure out if those are still legit business that are still in operations. I don't know what brides do during bridal showers anymore or bachelorette parties.

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT. Enough male stripper talk. On to the game.

You probably remember a few days ago I was raving about Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers. It was one of those games that I couldn't stop playing, so of course you knew I was looking forward to replaying the second one. I regret to say, that I never owned this game when I was younger. In fact, I only played through it once after renting it from the local RKO Video (i never went to blockbuster - this place called RKO was always cheaper). Don't get me wrong, I wanted to buy this, but two things came into play.


A) I was already moving on to the SNES, so most of my money or "gift requests" were for games from that system.

B) I could never find it. I seriously looked in probably 20 game stores to find this game, and no place had it. Eventually...I just gave up. OH, how I regret doing that now. This game is one of those big $$$ games for the NES now. Reminds me, I need to write a retrospective as to why retro games are so expensive now.

Anyway, it's pretty much an identical follow up to the first game, but there are a few things that brings this platforming classic to the next level.

Bring it on, Fat Cat. These gumshoes are gonna git you. GIT YOU!


Chip N Dale 2 takes place right after the second game, starting off with the Rescue Rangers disarming a bomb in a restaurant. Apparently, the bomb was a distraction caused by some wily Rabbit because Fat Cat was busy stealing some URN OF THE PHARAOH at the docks. The urn is capable of unleashing a bunch of evil spirits, which it does, so it's up to the Rescue Rangers to destroy the urn, and defeat Fat Cat before he uses its power to control the world!!!! BUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Oh Fat Cat. You're such a mischievous kitty.

Remember how in the first game, you were able to select where you wanted to go on a world map? Well, not this time. The game is linear now except for one level, which is kind of disappointing because I always enjoyed the ability to choose where I want to go. Gives the game a  bit more variation, but whatever I won't dock too many points for that.


Gameplay remains exactly the same as the first game. Pick up crates, apples, and whatever else you can find and just toss em at your enemies. But Chip N Dale 2 adds something new to the mix if you're playing 2 player. That's right. NOW, you have an additional weapon at your disposal. YOU CAN TOSS YOUR FRIEND INTO ENEMIES!

HA!! Do you know how glorious it feels to lift up your friend and chuck em across the screen? Of course, it's more satisfying if you're playing Dale and your friend is Chip. I've already expressed my hatred for that Indiana Jones wanna-be.

Unfortunately, the game proves to be way too short, and way too easy. Give it an hour and you're pretty much done. But this can be sad with all Disney / Capcom games.


Visually, this game is a bit more appealing than the first game. Everything seems a lot cleaner, and some of the graphics could actually pass for close to 16-bit graphics. I'm of course talking about the character / boss designs as some of these are really quite amazing. The backgrounds and level designs could be a bit sparse, but it's still quite pleasing to look at it.

The soundtrack as well as the sound effects are also something to brag about for a 1994 game. But herein lies the problem with this game, and I stated this earlier.

It came out in 1994. By 1994, no one is really focusing on the NES anymore. In fact, everyone has pretty much moved on to the SNES and other 16-bit systems at this point. The only reason you would pick up this game back in the 90s, was because you weren't able to upgrade yet. It's not a bad thing, as the library was still insanely strong. It's just that this game didn't get the real attention it deserved, and it came out in a time where these traditional NES platformers just didn't have the "oomph" that they used to.

Regardless - A+ in my book. Pick it up...if you have $150 to spare. Damn retro game inflation.

Final Score (out of 5) :





Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment